[Salon] Israeli ground forces pave way for occupation in Gaza City outskirts



https://thecradle.co/articles/israeli-ground-forces-pave-way-for-occupation-in-gaza-city-outskirts

Israeli ground forces pave way for occupation in Gaza City outskirts

image.png

Ten more Palestinians have died of starvation in the last 24 hours due to Israel’s total blockade of Gaza

The Israeli army said on 27 August that its ground forces are operating on the outskirts of Gaza City in preparation for the upcoming assault to seize and occupy the area, as indiscriminate bombardment and starvation continue across the strip. 

“In the northern Gaza Strip, the 162nd Division forces continue fighting in Jabalia and the outskirts of Gaza City, destroying military infrastructures and eliminating terrorists,” an Israeli army statement read.

“Simultaneously, the 99th Division forces operate on the outskirts of Gaza City to locate and destroy military infrastructures above and below ground, and in the last 24 hours, they attacked and destroyed several observation posts that posed a threat to our forces,” it added. 

The army said its forces from the 36th Division are operating in southern Gaza’s city of Khan Yunis. 

The statement also announced the assassination of Mahmoud al-Asoud, commander of Hamas’s General Security Service in western Gaza. 

“During the war and over the years, Asoud served as a central figure in the General Security Service and was a significant knowledge hub within the organization,” the Israeli army statement went on to say. 

The plan to occupy Gaza City was approved by Israel’s security cabinet on 7 August. 

Since then, Israeli troops have been decimating the Gaza City neighborhoods of Al-Zaytoun and Sabra, leveling infrastructure by deploying and detonating explosive-laden robots in civilian homes. 

Thirty-three people have been killed in Gaza over the past 24 hours. 

Additionally, ten more Palestinians have died of starvation in the last 24 hours, the Health Ministry in Gaza announced on Wednesday. 

“Thus, the total number of victims of famine and malnutrition rises to 313 martyrs, including 119 children.”

The UN-backed global hunger monitor, Integrated Food Phase Classification (IPC), has officially declared a famine in Gaza for the first time in a report issued on 22 August.

The report notes that the famine is taking place in Gaza City and surrounding towns, home to around 500,000 Palestinians.

The strip remains under a total Israeli blockade. The aid that does trickle in is nowhere near enough to address the population’s needs.



This archive was generated by a fusion of Pipermail (Mailman edition) and MHonArc.